Thursday, September 9, 2010

Test of Endurance

I've learned that photographing Great Blue Herons is a test of endurance--they're known for being the most patient of creatures.  Well, Herry, you've met your match!  So are Laura Brownlees!  (One of the characteristics/benefits of working with young children!)  I spent three hours Labor Day morning sitting on a fencepost or wandering the edge of the bog, loving the quiet, peaceful, lushness while watching this heron and other birds of the swampland doing their early-bird thing.  This was the first bird I saw that day, catching a glimpse of it's head through the reeds, then following the road for a better full-body look:






I was so focused on this bird, that I didn't even notice the ducks until they began to flutter and swim about.  This was the first time I personally saw and captured Wood Ducks through my lens, so I was very excited when I discover them--particularly the male, with it's colorful 'painted head'.   See them on the bottom/right of the photo?




After preening itself, the heron began to flap it's great, impressive wings, getting ready for it's heavy ascent:










It headed for a nearby tree and perched for what would become our contest of the wills. 



If it was a staring contest, I won.  If it was a waiting contest, he won.  The bird remained in this tree for three hours!



During this time, people enjoyed a scenic ride, like these cyclists:

A few bikers also rode passed.  Other folks walked by and stopped to talk to me about life on the swamplands.  One woman actually returned after continuing her jog with the name of a speaker from a nearby raptor center that she insisted I go visit.  (I actually saw this man demonstrate his birds at a lecture a few years back.)  A man and his son stopped to tell me that they live right on the pond and that there's a bald eagle that hung around his back yard for several hours recently.  I made a mental note and will keep an eye out for it next time I visit this watershed.




Meanwhile....  still keeping my eye on the heron, I photographed the lush scenery which is now taking on the colors of the changing season.  Once the sun became higher in the sky, the shine of turtle shells popped up here and there.  And the blue flowers became stunning in the sunlight.  A flock of noisy geese flew overhead and landed on the small pond behind me, stirring up yet another heron.  Enjoy the photos below:


















Thanks for following along!

*

*

*


No comments:

Post a Comment