Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Real Deal

It seems only natural and fitting to follow up my 'correction' post with the real deal!  I didn't set out yesterday morning on a quest for the American Bittern.  In fact, I had no expectations at all when I awoke; I was 'pulled' (guided, led, followed.... ) to a watershed area outside of Branchville.  And I always follow my instincts.  No sooner did I walk away from my parking spot off the beaten path, that my eyes were drawn to something shining brightly through the greens of the swamp.  It was the head--just the head--of a Great Blue Heron.  I cautiously walked a little further where I knew it would be more visible and WOW!  There it stood like it had been waiting for me to arrive!  The pictures I took of it will be included in my next posting.  It wasn't until it flew away that I noticed on another dead tree sticking out of the pond, that I saw not one, but two American Bitterns perched on the branches of this tree!  I immediately recognized it by it's neck and other characteristics I mentioned in the previous post and eagerly snapped away until the pair flew away. 









                                They are ready for take-off! 
                                Note the beautiful primary colors!






They circled the pond before flying to another nearby pond.







No comments:

Post a Comment