Sunday, March 6, 2011

I Found It!

I enjoyed my morning spent in the field Saturday so much, that later that afternoon I wanted more.  I visited a place closer to home, which led to an unexpected surprise!  I'd been to this place before, only I hadn't explored much further than a couple acres of land.  I parked in several inches of squishy mud and made my way down the path, down toward a lake.  The path winded through brush, alive with bird activity.






I noticed a large nest, way up high, and was quite surprised to see a Chickadee flitting around it, adding a piece of something to it.  I wondered if Chickadees really occupy a nest that size.  It looks that way!






I noticed these flat mushrooms growing on an upward slant.







In order to go any further, you had to slosh through water and mud.  The embankment was gone. The lake overflowed.  I did go further, until I reached a spot that I remember last time I was here, turning around at.  This time something called me forward, and it looked inviting.  I was curious as to what lie up the hill ahead, and to what was beyond the upward, sharp leftward bend.   So on I went....

Up the hill, I noticed the bend becoming lighter.  Brighter.  When I reached the spot and turned my head left, the first thing I saw was:






It didn't waste any time with me--it immediately flew away as soon as I popped into view, it's tail a faded hint of red as it flew away.




But that alone wasn't what impressed me most.  Once I entered the scene around the bend, the whole world opened up!  It was there that   I Found It!   There, for as far as the eye could see, was a field more beautiful than I've ever seen!  It was  w - i - d - e  open.  Throughout the field were lone pine trees scattered here and there--prime for owls and other birds of prey to inhabit--as well as lining the field on both sides with more pines and other trees.  There was minimal vegetation--only dried-out wildflowers and weeds appearing golden in the sunlight.  My eyes were opened to the field itself with the realization of all the animals that thrive in this habitat that I can't wait to see! 

There seemed to be a familiarity about this place but it didn't dawn on me until 16 hours later, why I loved it so much--I realized that it's because this spot reminded me very much of Arizona!

I cannot wait to spend an entire day--from dawn til dusk--camped out in this field, just sitting back relishing in my solitude and observe what takes place in this world hidden from the world.  It was such a peaceful, relaxing place--one that felt so good and so right to me, one where I felt immediately at home.  I did not take one single landscape photograph--probably because I was in such awe and caught up in the excitement of pioneer discovery!

[Sidenote: With my new interest in owls, if you want to see them, you must spend time where they do!  In doing so, exploring places where they hunt and live, my interest grew to include all the animals they eat--going as far as examinging the two regurgitated owl pellets that I found.   I'm enjoying the life of the owl!]

Anyway...  once I picked my jaw up off the ground, I came across a few interesting things on my walk.



I found this cozy little nest overflowing with cushy, fresh milkweed silk.





From a milkweed pod.






Looking down on the ground of this field, too, were many feathers, only building my excitement at the thought of the beautiful game birds I'll one day see.


 



Looking up, a flock of Canada Geese were flying overhead.




...and a couple buzzards....





I walked for quite some time, the end nowhere in sight.  I could have continued, but with dusk falling early, I decided to head back to my car, vowing to return when I can spend many hours of daylight here, exploring even further...  or being content right were was.  I cannot wait! 

Walking back down the path, now having to make a downward bend to the right, slosh back through the water and mud, and back up and down some more hills.  When I finally rose from the field and saw my muddy parking spot, there were rays of light beaming down from Above, shining right on my car, making life all the more sweeter!

No comments:

Post a Comment