Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Arrival of Spring

New buds:








Peek-a-boo sparrow.




I never really know what surprises I'll come across when out and about.  I always keep a keen eye out for things....  ...and I always do indeed 'stop and smell the roses'....   However, today my sense of hearing was stirred in the most profound way.  No sooner did I open my car door and step out, I immediately heard the most wonderful racket coming from a nearby pond--an entire chorus of croaking frogs!  It drew me in, sinking in surrounding mud, just so I could try and catch a glimpse of one without disturbing them.  Most of them stopped in mid-song, dropping out of the chorus one by one as I approached the pond, and the only way I could tell where these elusive creatures were, were from the ripples in the water after they hopped in! 

I surprised myself, though, in finding through the weeds, sticks and logs, three little 'bumps' popping just above the water line. 

Spring has sprung.







No comments:

Post a Comment