Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Lot of Life In One Afternoon

I came across the top half piece of a big ol' catfish today.  Something must have dropped it from it's talons or jaws or just left it on the road in a hurry.



After being at home for a little while, it dawned on me that perhaps whatever deserted this meal might actually return to finish it!  I quickly got back into my car and drove to the spot, relieved to find it still there.  However, before I could even shift into PARK, I turned and saw this Great Blue Heron touch down to the ground right next to the fish!  It didn't hesitate for a moment--not even taking a nibble off of it--before it lifted off again, sensing my presence.  I wasn't quite ready, but I quickly grabbed my camera and snapped a few pictures.












Next, this crow came to investigate what the heron left behind.




He didn't stay long either.





A couple hours later and now a few miles from home, I came across this alert sentinal and a pair of birds (which I'm curious as to what kind they are.)  I wondered what their attentiveness was about.





Then noticed another crow in a nearby tree, devouring an animal.




Life, and it's cycles.....


The initial reason I decided to pull over at this other spot, was this carcass protruding from the side of the road.





And I got a kick out of seeing this!







Getting back to earlier, with the heron and catfish oh-so-close to my home....

I sat for a while waiting for the heron to return or--perhaps--an eagle--or whatever else enjoys fresh catfish, and from the comfort of my seatwarmer and an open window, I was bedazzled by the raindrops on branches and raindrops on the water.  What a wonderful way to pass the time today!!  And what a beautiful day it was!!




















And to add a little more sweetness, these birds came into view from where I sat....

One of the things I've always loved about Blue Jays, is that they always seem to have their heads bowed, seemingly in prayer.








Returning home from an afternoon spent in harmony with nature, I saw out of the corner of my eye and through weeds, flashes of white from this pair of swans flying over a pond.  I did a drive-by of their fly-by.




Wow!  That's a lot of life (and death) to see in just a couple hours!  Having a little extra time on my hands this afternoon was timed perfectly for exactly what I needed today.

Glaura B!

No comments:

Post a Comment