Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Hawk in the Field

Out in the fields today, I could tell by clumps of feathers everywhere, that we interrupted a hawk from this afternoon's fresh kill.  Walking passed the pile of shiny innerds confirmed it.  As we came into it's view, the bird  flapped to a nearby tree and perched.  It looked kind of shabby-looking to me, with long 'hair' like it just stepped out of the '80's! 





I walked closer toward it for a better look.  When I reached a certain distance, again, it took off.  I followed it from where I stood and took a series of shots as it circled the field.  In viewing the pictures afterward, I marveled at how different this hawk appeared from each angle, and under different light, different altitudes, and against different backgrounds!  I almost couldn't believe it was the same bird!  To confuse me even more, it looked to me like a red-tailed for obvious reasons, yet other times it did not.






































And some beautiful feathers left behind.....





No comments:

Post a Comment