Friday, January 28, 2011

Corrections A-Plenty!

Thanks to Kat and her friend from the audubon and to Eileen, Kathy, and Jacque for your responses identifyig the little grey bird from my previous post as a Northern Mockingbird.  Not that I doubted any of them, but once I actually used my reference books (what a novel idea) the descriptions and behaviors matched perfectly to what I observed. 

Also, the hawk I thought was a Red-Tailed Hawk is not !  It's actually a Red-Shouldered Hawk.
(Thanks again for your help in correct identification!)  And really, looking at the images again and the ones from my reference books, it's so clear (DUH) not only by looking at the tail, but the colors and patterns on the feathers, particularly when in flight, is a dead giveaway!  See the differences?


Yesterday's Red-Shouldered Hawk:




...and a Red-Tailed Hawk:



Yesterday's Red-Shouldered Hawk in flight:




Red-Tailed Hawk in flight:



While I'm owning up to my incorrect information, I also referred in yesterday's post, to Canadian Geese, whereas the correct term is Canada Geese.

Thanks everybody for keeping me on my toes!

You know.......  I do what I do with this here blog because I'm so passionate about trying to capture the wonder and beauty of the natural world and share it with others with the intent that it might stop someone--anyone--in their tracks for a moment or two, to really 'see' or 'look' for themselves at the world around them, and hopefully the peace and joy it brings into my own heart is also felt by someone else when they witness for themselves, from their own perspective, nature in their own backyard.  I don't claim to be an expert in any way--neither my photography nor my writing nor even the information!  I see what I see and merely wish to share it.  Thanks so much for accepting it, appreciating it, and enjoying following it! 

And of course if you ever reach a point that you wish to be removed from my regular email 'prompts', please just reply to one and use the word "remove" as your subject. 


Here's a cute little Tufted Titmouse (or is it??  Ha!) to end this post!

2 comments:

  1. Naming the birds isn't very important to me. I just get lost in the beauty of the photographs. Keep the emails coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100% which is why I sometimes don't name them unless I (think) I know for certain. There's always someone with more information 'out there' that will guide me if I'm mistaken, which I do appreciate! I'm much too busy with other things, sometimes, to take the time to reference beforehand. Thanks for the validation.

    ReplyDelete