Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Brilliance of Winter

One of my favorite things about winter, particularly when snow is on the ground, is how the sunlight affects the surroundings.  Yesterday's sunrise cast a rosy glow throughout the sky before reaching the ground.




Higher up in the sky, the sun beams, upon reaching the snowy ground, create refracting light on single ice crystals.  I wasn't sure if my camera could capture the brilliance and the array of colors that I saw with the naked eye, and I was happy when I indeed saw the sparkling diamonds in the snow in the following images.









I love the playful shadows the sun creates, as well as the ability to highlight a single berry against the snow or mushrooms growing on the bark of a tree.












And on a much larger scale, you can clearly see in the two scenic pictures below, the difference the sun makes when it's visible -- and when it's hidden behind a layer of clouds.







     (The above two photos are dedicated to a very special friend who, like me, is able to witness firsthand,
                       the varied and seasonable changes of that scene as they regularly occur!)


1 comment:

  1. While I do not miss the snow in NJ your photos show how much it changes the world around you. I marveled at the blue in the sky in your last post, the sparkle, gem-like of the snow on the ground and I loved the contrast of the red berry!

    ReplyDelete