Sunday, January 16, 2011

Quackin' Up!

I had a fun photo shoot last week shooting mallards!  Done in two sessions on two different days, but taken at the same time each day-- there's quite a difference between them.  The first session, a dim and cloudy day; the second, a bright and sunny one.  Yesterday's post (previous to this one) was from the second session, so the color and clarity is more vibrant, with a 'real feel' to it; as opposed to this post which contains images from the first session, and they needed a bit more editing.  I found it tricky from a technical standpoint to get the images how I saw them.  Between the white of the snow, the muted color from the males' green head feathers (only in the sunlight do you get that irridescent shine!), their location in the pond vs. around it, etc., there were a lot of elements to deal with!  Not to mention, the society of ducks is intersting to watch.  They're a social group and a lot of their actions happen with split-second timing, so there's a lot missed with a camera.  Although a very vocal group, most of their antics and behaviors are seen through their body language.  That's what I'd like to share.  

Follow this with yesterday's post (even though many of you might have seen that one first of the second session (following me?)  I know....  it's bass ackwards... and you're probably quackin' up right alongside me!)


















I like the softer images of the ducks at the water's edge.









I found this guy camped out in the snow.  I think he found me at the same time!





And this one seem comfortable in it's nest of snow.





                                                                                      "See ya!"





1 comment:

  1. I love the one lone mallard who looks like he is either staring at his own reflection trying to figure it out or bowing his head in prayer! I'm sure someone I know will shed a tear or two over these pics! Great eye,Laura!

    ReplyDelete