Friday, January 7, 2011

A Snowy, Wooded Winter Walk

                                                                            
                                       *
                                       *



Several more inches of snow fell yesterday, and while the snow tapered off to light flurries, we went for a walk along a big, flat brook that winded itself through woods.  Expecting the river to be my focal point, I was pleasantly surprised when the pines became the showstopper of the day!  As the light snow tickled my face, snowy evergreen branches seemed to pop out of the scenery, beckoning for a closer look:












                             And then clusters of trees became appealing in their varied colors. 
                     The snow added depth not just on the ground, but amidst the trees themselves.









                                          The river was approached from much higher ground,
                        allowing through the trees, a vantage point of seeing it winding through the woods.
                                         Protruding rocks, white with snow, dotted the river.


















                                               Standing as close as I could get to the water's edge, 
                                          I found this spot to be the most serene place along the river.
                                      Here, I soaked in the quiet, peaceful beauty I found on this wintery day.






We made our way back uphill as we headed back to our vehicle, pausing now and again to photograph the tall, majestic mature pines that lined the road which we now walked.  Suddenly, breaking the silence of the woods from the mufflling blanket of snow, I heard repetetive sounds coming from a nearby pine.  They were the sounds of a hooting owl.  It brought me so much delight, I could have stayed in this spot forever just listening to it!  The deep, lonesome hoots accompanied us for the remainder of our walk.  (And oh, how I would have loved to seen the owl!  But becoming aware of it through another sense was indeed enough for me--and a precious gift at that!) 

These pines, dressed with plain, white snow, could rival any of the most ornately-decorated Christmas tree I've seen in the past few weeks!















           And finally, just before getting back into the vehicle, I looked ahead and saw this row of trees.




                                                                              
                                        *
                                        *

1 comment:

  1. such peaceful pictures..... but I do not miss the snow here in NC!

    ReplyDelete