Saturday, March 17, 2012

Time to Kill - Waterfowl at the Crack of Dawn

Being the early bird that I am, I had some time to kill the other morning while waiting to meet up with my daughter later.  Before the sun even thought about rising, I was lakeside, at a nearby state park, just watching...  listening...  waiting in the darkness for the world to slowly awaken. 






I get much enjoyment, great peace and fulfillment in my solitude--at one with nature, and this is my favorite time of day. 

At the threshhold of dawn beginning to crack, orange hues begin to show through the darkness.  Wildife (that's been quietly there all along) now appears in silhoettes.






Orange hues warm the scene (but not the air!), different shades in every direction.

















Distinct, more well-defined features of waterfowl visually increases by the moment.












And things became very active, very quickly!  Birds were buzzing by from all directions!  The world was awake!  Awake and alive!






















Well-over an hour later, it occured to me that I'd been standing (with frozen feet!) on uneven ground at the shoreline for quite some time, and remembered I had a chair in the car.  I pulled myself away from the scene long enough to get it and quickly returned to the same spot.






I noticed Red-Winged blackbirds began their trills and calls (a sure sign of spring!)
This one spent equal time in the water as in the reeds.






I've always admired the patience of a heron.










And now the sky was blue!
















And now it was time to go.  I felt like I've lived a whole day in those hours!  I was freshened, exhuberant, and ready to take on the day!  And I can't wait to return!

No comments:

Post a Comment