Thursday, March 22, 2012

Swamp Things ("Ribbit!")

The other night this little guy was hopping across our front lawn.  I got down on the ground, my belly matching his in relation to the earth, and snapped a few pictures.






Afterwards, I got to thinking....  since the Peepers are now peeping and that toad was doing it's spring thing, the swamp must be a pretty hoppin' place!  I put on my boots and went down to a swampy place by the river and spent the afternoon trying to catch a few frogs (in my lens.)  I was successful in finding some!  Most plopped into the water as I approached, but these two didn't seem to mind my presence, although they kept a watchful eye on my the entire time.














Things flying overhead kept distracting me, in a delightful way!  ...Like this pair of Great Blue Herons:













...and this Red-Tailed Hawk, that circled closer and closer to me!!  Yikes!!












...and these new buds, swaying gently from a warm spring breeze.








The river, running especially low, looked refreshingly cool nonetheless, and was a nice diversion.







I was happy to see vegetation finally beginning to sprout!  Probably not as happy as bears, who rely on this to kick-start their internal system that had been slowed during the winter months, and other hungry animals!














Today's post is dedicated to Derek Connor, who'll soon be taking (and making!) his own outdoor adventure.
                                  Our conversation today was another delightful and welcomed diversion!


                                                                                 *
                                                                                 *

1 comment:

  1. Great hawk shots! I've looked through your other posts and have to say I'm envious of your extensive collection of wildlife shots. I never see that many different birds.

    BTW, I met you today at Little Swartswood.

    ReplyDelete