Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse 2010

It was a frigid but clear night for stargazing last night and perfect for viewing the lunar eclipse.  Here are a few key moments of it's 3 1/2 - hour progression, from what it looked like from my place on the earth.

















At this point in time, around 3 a.m., when our moon was completely shadowed by our earth, and knowing I had 72 minutes before our shadow was to pass, I went inside to warm up.  No sooner did I step inside, when my friend from a mile down the road sent me a text, knowing I'd be up watching the eclipse.  She said she and her family were bundled up too, and watching the eclipse from their front porch.  With that, I packed up my gear and hopped into the car and drove that mile to join them!  I can't tell you how much we all enjoyed that spur-of-the-moment, wee-hour visit!  With the naked eye, the moon was still clearly visible, however through the lens of my camera, tree branches were obstructing the viewing clarity, but that's okay--the laughter and joy of our 30-year friendship was better than any phenomenon, and I thank my lucky stars for these friends!  After a while, I turned my camera toward them--the huddled mass that they were--and snapped a few pictures before heading back to my own yard.  The rest of the eclipse unfolded as follows:


















                                                                 Happy winter, everybody!!


                                                                                 *

1 comment:

  1. I was curled up in a warm bed last night and missed it all. But your pictures make me feel like I was there. Great job!

    ReplyDelete