Monday, November 22, 2010

Dry Run

             

I recently experienced, for the first time in my life, walking on a pond! 
No, it wasn't frozen, and no, I wasn't doing the Jesus thing. 
It was a pond alright, but one that was completely dry of it's water.
Walking on this surface was unlike anything I have ever walked on!




                            At first, closer to the bank, I came across a tiny white shell from a snail. 
                                 The more I looked, I discovered there were hundreds of these
                                           fragile, eggshell-like shells all along the shoreline! 
                                              I picked up a pocketful of the little treasures.











Going in 'deeper', the ground was so soft and spongey below my feet, that I sank a few inches with each step.  It felt like you were walking on a cloud, even though the landscape reminded me more of the surface of the moon. 






There were moist spots closer to the shore; there was green vegetation growing amidst the dry seaweed bed.






                                      But mostly it was an expanse of an arid, barren, sloped space.







                                Seaweed clung to low branches, like spanish moss hanging on trees.






          I wondered if there was a possibility of sinking more than 'a few inches' in some random spot!
     But there were many hoofprints--deer tracks in the snow-er, dried pond bed, that I assumed it was safe.
                      These prints formed a heart!  (I always seem to come upon hearts in nature.) 
         It makes me smile, considering the person usually beside me is someone I share my heart with! 
                                                        And now I share it with you, too!


         The above photo really shows the depth of the 'sinkage factor' as well as the seaweed surface.




                                          I spotted this blind.  (Guess it didn't work!  Ha!)






                                Several little birdhouses were scattereed about the shoreline.











                                                           
                                    ...but these two different woodpeckers were perched elsewhere.









                              We found a trail through the woods bringing us back to terra firma. 

                            I enjoyed the experience of viewing the world from that vantage point 
                              when the only other ways which allow that perspective is from either
                                             paddling on the water when it's actually full
                                                        or standing on frozen ground
                               so to be able to have my feet planted in the middle of that space
                                     was a highlight of that 14th day of November 2010.


                                                                                 *

No comments:

Post a Comment