Friday, September 28, 2012

Metamorphosis - Part II

The second of two monarch chrysalises that were given to me and my class recently was about to hatch!  I could tell by the color of the cocoon that at any time, a brand-new butterly was about to emerge.  Only....  it was late Friday afternoon!  The kids had such an amazing experience waiting and watching the first one emerge, and I didn't want them to be disappointed by missing this one, so I took it home with me over the weekend.





I was so disappointed I missed the process of emergence as it was actually underway, literally by only seconds, but thrilled at the sudden surprise at seeing the butterfly clinging to the cocoon!







I moved the container outdoors to acclimate it to the environment.













I promised the kids I'd take a picture of me with the butterfly so they can see their butterfly really did hatch.











Still clinging to the cocoon,  it's wings were soaking wet, hanging low, with a deep brilliance of color.







Then, looking at me, it began it's ascent, spreading it's wings wide open for the very first time!











I'd hoped it would crawl onto my finger, but I didn't want to disturb the natural readiness/willingness to, so I withdrew my hand.  I could sense this insect had an entirely different personality as that of the first butterfly that emerged.  It was a whole different experience.






Look at that color!!





Stunning!







At the top, the butterfly turned, and a new angle from a few steps over provided an undistracted background.






Again, I tried my fingers......







But then-----  I swear-----  it turned and waved at me!







It turned to face me directly and looked striaght into my eyes...







Spread it's wings.....







And lifted off!!







It flew around the backyard for a few seconds before choosing a tree to land on.  I tried to follow it the best I could!






















And then it flew once again, and was gone!


Leaving behind the empty nest.







Settling back at the end of the day, thinking about the day's event, I was awed, overwhelmed and overjoyed to have gone through this experience--the birth of a new being, having the same impact as the birth of any creature!

No comments:

Post a Comment