Monday, January 20, 2014

Winter Pearls - Frozen Bubbles

With the polar vortex upon us during the first week of the new year, and the start of my "Winter Pearls" photography project of the night before, I was excited for the clear, sunny day to continue my frozen bubble experiments.  I was not prepared for blustery winds and tried all sorts of things to help with that issue.  Even the failed attempts were learning experiences and I was able, nonetheless, to watch ice crystals forming inside the bubbles.  The following day, however, the wind subsided while the temperature remained in the negative numbers far below zero.  Perfect! 



The sun created sparkles all around my subject, adding another layer of beauty to the bubble that did not pop (yet!)  Almost immediately, ice crystals resembling tiny ferns or feathers, began forming inside.











I noticed the bubble beginning to fill with swirls of gas, signaling to me that it will soon pop.










As the bubble began to pop, sometimes fragments would slough off into the air; other times the bubble would sink inside itself.











Once the bubble sank inside itself, it created a sort of "bowl" almost looking as if it were made of glass!  Inside the bowl, the ice crystals were more plainly visible.  And oh-so-beautiful!!








No comments:

Post a Comment