Monday, February 7, 2011

The Gift - A Pileated Woodpecker

My attempts to walk in the woods yesterday failed, as the ice and snow made it exceptionally difficult to manuever over uneven ground.  I was limited to roadside photography while driving around town, and luckily on these back roads that are less traveled, I have a bit more freedom to drive slowly and observe my surroundings closely, pulling over now and again for a shot of something or another. 

At one point I got out of my car and walked over a bridge to photograph some ducks swimming in the river, when something caught my eye.  A twig had fallen straight down - and now stood upright in a little patch of snow.   A cross!  That's how it appeared to me, anyway--as a symbolic cross.




Sometimes when I'm out with my camera hoping to capture some object of nature, nothing seems to present itself.  Sometimes I could be out for hours and then one thing will appear or I'll get just one single shot of something incredible that makes it all worthwhile.  Today was one of those days.

You know by now that I always interpret things I see in nature as gifts.  The 'cross' I saw seemed to become a 'sign' as well ~ a sign for something better yet to come, and it caused me to pause and linger over this area.  It was then that I heard a solitary, hollow WHACK! of what sounded like a hammer striking wood.  A second strike led me to follow the sound to an old sycamore tree.  The 'hammer' was the strong bill belonging to this red-crested Pileated Woodpecker.  I watched in awe at this large bird using it's bill--not repetively like the smaller woodpeckers, but with a singular blows to the wood--to extract what it wanted.





                I was able to take a few steps closer for a few more shots without alarming the bird.






For those of you who live on or near the river or spend time fishing it's waters or strolling along it's banks as it winds itself through woods, perhaps this is a common sighting.  I've learned these birds will remain in an area all year long, raise their young, and forage for food there, so it's likely seen my many.  Perhaps you, too, perceive this and things like it as gifts--because they are indeed for everyone--everyone who recognizes it as such.  Either way, I pass this gift along to those who might not have the chance to see one firsthand.

May you never tire are lose an ounce of awe or fascination each time a gift is presented to you!

2 comments:

  1. Isaiah 51:16 - "I have put my words in your mouth and covered you with the shadow of my hand. "

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my all time favorite birds to photograph. I love hearingnthem, watching them, "shooting" them, and look atnthe photos over and over again. I havebshared many days of seemingly empty sightings only to be stopped in my tracks only a few feetbfrom the car!

    ReplyDelete