Monday, February 21, 2011

Bald Eagle Series, Part II

The blue sky of the previous day was gray the next day that I observed Bald Eagles.
I came upon this adult eagle flying toward the nest to join the other.  The flash of white
caught my attention immediately.  That's the cool thing about the color white in nature.
It stands out brilliantly, particularly under low light conditions like at dawn and dusk--
on everything from a dogwood blossom to the piebald plumage of an adult eagle!





The eagles switched spots in the nest--the other now flew to a nearby perch to preen itself.






Then it flew down onto the frozen lake and took a few sips of  'surface melt'.





It was then joined by it's mate!





Once they were standing side-by-side, I could then easily identify the female by her characteristically larger size.  The sweet chirping between them surprised me!  I guess I expected a deeper, more majestic-sounding vocalizing from Bald Eagles, but no--it was a sweet, sweet chirping!





The male eagle began making his moves closer and closer to it's mate until he finally mounted her.

























One flew off...  leaving the other one behind....




Then she flew off--her big, meatly legs hanging below her.





She landed on a nearby tree, her white feathers a strong contrast against the russet background.





...zoomed in........





And that's where I left them for the day, always with a bow of thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment