Thursday, August 25, 2011

Momma Bears and Their Cubs

The other morning I set out to photograph a family of bears that I knew spent time each day in a nearby orchard.  As I approached, I saw the two cubs crossing the road while their momma stayed behind in the woods. 













As I was watching them, I suddenly heard a faint but crisp sound of a twig snapping.  I glanced over my shoulder behind me and to my amazement, there was another mother with another set of  cubs in tow!  My attention turned toward them now and I watched Momma glide on by, her black coat shimmering; her cubs pouncing behind her in the woods.   It's not often (like, never) to see two families of bears at once!  I was surprised and excited.  They were making their way through the woods and toward the road.  I thought I was undetected, but I watched the mother stop and warn her cubs to be still and silent, and they indeed froze.  She then, without hesitation, stepped out onto the road and for the first time (or so I thought) looked directly at me.  She checked me out, cocking her head from side to side, seemingly trying to figure me out--it's probably not too often (like, never) that she ever saw a tripod erected!





She seemed a little confused as she studied me.  She went back into the woods, but I knew any minute she would step out again for another look.  She did.





She stood her ground, looking at me square-on.  I didn't move.  I don't think I even blinked.





Sensing I wasn't a threat but still wary of me (as bears should be) she went back into the woods to call her cubs to join her across the road.










Where I respectfully left them to do their own thing.......





                                                                                 *

No comments:

Post a Comment