Sunday, May 11, 2014

An Eagle Came to Fish - Part I and Part II

 
Sometimes I search for Bald Eagles.  Other times, they just find me. 
 
After two weeks of extensive, successful "searching", I was out one morning with my guard down, photographing ducks, when this juvenile bald eagle came swooping out of a tree and circled over the lake.  I estimate this eagle to be around four years old, as this is the year it's mottled feathers begin acquiring the trademark white tail and head feathers and a yellowish tinge to it's beak.
 
 







 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 















After circling a few times, the eagle assumed the striking position and began to descend, talons first.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 





                                         The eagle skimmed the surface successfully, but....








      Oops!  It dropped it's fish!  In my favor, I knew it would circle once more to try again to catch it.
















 
 
 
 
 
 
 















                                This time, it caught it's fish, then flew off with it.









                                                                            Part II


After a few minutes, I left this spot and drove around the lake to another vantage point to photograph ducks.  Imagine my surprise when I noticed the eagle perched on a tree at this new spot!  And imagine my surprise when it took to the air again, flying directly in front of me!




















































 

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous story in photos Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joanna! It was very exciting to witness this and it makes me glad to share it so others can see it as well!

    ReplyDelete